Even though we’re in paradise here on Hatteras Island, there will still be those days that Mother Nature brings us a guest we rarely enjoy the company of, rain. The good news is that there are plenty of fun indoor island gems to explore while on vacation that you might miss when sun is shining! Here are five things to do on Hatteras Island on a rainy day that you’ll find locals doing as well!
1. Visit an art studio
Hatteras Island boasts a vibrant art community full of talented painters, potters, musicians, and authors. Up and down the Island there are studios and galleries full of amazing works that incorporate Outer Banks culture and flare where you can find a special piece or two to bring home. Or, if you’re feeling creative, take a painting or pottery classes where you can create your own masterpiece!
- Kinnakeet Clay – Discover a stellar collection of local and regional pottery, including decorative and functional pieces, art, and fine craft.
- Studio 12 – Grab a fresh coffee or whole fruit smoothie from the new coffee bar while you create your own handcrafted art in the studio and shop the gallery filled with art made right here on the OBX!
- Indian Town Art Gallery – Located in Frisco, Indian Town has one of the largest collections of local art under one roof on the Outer Banks. Although the gallery specializes in hand-crafted jewelry made locally and all around North Carolina, Indian Town also has a great selection of local photography, NC Pottery, and neat upcycled art and accessories! 8/3/2018 Updated the Indian
2. Explore a museum
From the Native Americans who settled this beloved land, to pirates and shipwrecks, to soldiers who fought to protect the Island in the Civil and World Wars, to the world-renowned fishing, the Outer Banks has a colorful and rich history, especially here on Hatteras Island. You’ll be amazed at how much interesting history is behind this place
- Frisco Native American Museum – This museum features artifacts from many North American tribes as well as the original inhabitants of Hatteras Island.
- The Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum – This free museum showcases the maritime history and shipwrecks of the Outer Banks.
- Oregon Inlet Fishing Center – Check out the home of local OBX fishermen who appear on the TV show Wicked Tuna. Learn about the fishing industry, chat with anglers on the latest catch, and shop around the marina store for a nice new lure!
3. Treat yourself to a spa
A rainy day is a perfect reason to pamper yourself. Whether it’s a massage, new hairdo, mani-pedi, yoga class, or just a good work out, we all need some me time to relax and refresh.
- Spa Koru – Koru Village’s spa is a one-stop shop for your relaxation, styling and fitness needs with a gym and yoga/group exercise studio open seven days a week and a full staff of licensed spa professionals offering a menu of treatments from massage to salon services.
- In Touch Massage and Wellness – This center for natural health and relaxation is located in Frisco and dedicated to enhancing your well-being with a variety of services for the body and mind.
4. Go old school with books, toys, and games
Sometimes it’s nice to have a quiet day inside with the family to enjoy each other’s company in that beautiful vacation home you’re in staying in. This a perfect time to find a good read from a local Outer Banks author as the kids enjoy their new toys or board games.
- Buxton Village Books – In the store and online, Buxton Village Books offer lots of great books about the Outer Banks as well as all the newest contemporary fiction, southern fiction, and young adult titles.
- Hatteras Island Toy Store – This whimsical shop offers the coolest selection of toys and games for boys and girls-young and old-on Hatteras Island!
- Board Games – Many vacation homes come equipped with a nice selection of classic board games, but it’s always a good idea to bring a few of your favorites from home, as well as a couple decks of playing cards.
5. Take a day trip
Even on a rainy day, a mini road trip on Highway 12 can be an easy and scenic drive. Take a few hours to explore up the beach, as the locals call it, in the Nags Head and Manteo areas. With plenty of shopping outlets, restaurants, and kids activities, a rainy day can go by quickly in the “big city.”
- Laser Tag – Who doesn’t love a good game of laser tag with family and friends? Have a blast with some friendly competition on the laser course and in the arcade.
- NC Aquarium – The Waters of the Outer Banks are waiting to be discovered at the NC Aquarium in Manteo. Marvel at the largest collection of sharks in the state, see an alligator and playful river otters up close, and experience the hands-on Sea Turtle Rescue area, among many other interactive and captivating exhibits.
- R/C 10 Movie Theater – It may sound cliché to hit the movie theater on a rainy day, but it will always be classic fun. Check out showtimes to catch your favorite new flick.
What are your favorite things to do on a rainy day at the Outer Banks?
Share with us on Facebook!